The Vaginal Ring
What is a Vaginal Ring?
NuvaRing (also known as the Ring) is a flexible vaginal ring that contains two kinds of hormones, progesterone and estrogen. When the Ring is inserted into the vagina it releases a continuous low dose of hormones into the body; this prevents ovulation. (the ovary does not release an egg to be fertilized it sort of tricks the body into thinking it is pregnant (when it is NOT).
How does it work, and is the Ring effective?
The Ring is inserted into the vagina and left inside for three weeks. After three weeks the Ring is removed for one week. During the Ring-free week you get your period. If the Ring is not used exactly as directed, your chance of getting pregnant increases.
If the Ring is used perfectly every month it is 98% effective.
Are there any side effects from the NuvaRing?
Common side effects which usually go away after using the Ring for three months may include:
- change in appetite /weight change
- breast tenderness or enlargement
- changes in period
- vaginal discharge, infections or irritation
- moodiness or depression
What should I know about choosing the NuvaRing?
- protects against pregnancy for one month
- no pill to take every day
- one size fits all
- does not require a “fitting” by a medical professional
- does not require the use of spermicide
- cannot use a diaphragm or cervical cap for a backup method of birth control
- ability to become pregnant returns quickly when you stop using it.