What is the Sponge?
The Sponge is a small, round, soft piece of foam with spermicide in it that is inserted into the vagina before sex.
How does it work, and is the Sponge effective?
The sponge is inserted into the vagina before sex and can be left in place for 24 hours. The sponge must then be left in place after sex for at least 6 hours. The sponge is 70-84% effective.
What should I know about using the Sponge?
- easy to hide and easy to get
- can have sex multiple times in a 24 hour period with the same sponge inserted
- does not protect against sexually transmitted diseases or HIV
- not as effective as other BC methods
- must leave it in for 6 hours after having sex