What is the shot?
Depo-Provera or Depo is a contraceptive injection for women that contain the hormone progestin. It is given as an injection once every three months and typically suppresses ovulation, keeping your ovaries from releasing an egg. You have e to go to a clinic or doctor’s office to get the shot
How effective is the shot in preventing pregnancy?
Depo is over 99% effective in preventing pregnancy. Like birth control pills, the shot doesn’t protect against STIs.
What are the side effects from the shot?
- lighter or heavier periods or no period at all
- breast tenderness
- slight weight gain
- moodiness and/or depression
- may take up to 10 months after stopping to become pregnant
What should I know about choosing the Shot?
- Depo-Provera does not interfere with sex
- the shot lasts for 3 months
- no pill to take every day
- it is not obvious or visible