What is the shot and how does it work?
Depo provera (aka Depo) is a shot given once every three months. Depo has one hormone, progesterone.
The shot works by making the female body stop ovulating. They sort of trick the female body into thinking it is pregnant when it is NOT!
What are my chances of not getting pregnant by getting the shot?
Depo provera is over 99% effective.
Are there any side effects of the shot?
Depo provera: lighter or heavier periods or no period at all, headaches, breast tenderness, nausea, slight weight gain, moodiness, and/or depression.
What are the Pros of the shot?
- Depo provera does not interfere with sex.
- The shot lasts for 3 months.
- It may decrease bleeding and cramping during periods.
- It may lower the chance of ovarian and endometrial cancers.
What are the Cons of the shot?
- No protection against STDs or HIV.
- May cause heavier bleeding during period or no bleeding.
- Slight weight gain, moodiness.
- Have to go to clinic or doctor’s office to get shot.
- May take several months to become pregnant after stopping the shot.